Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Arriving in Belgium & Getting To Know My Host Family


5/28

The flight from New York to Brussels took about 8 hours. Luckily I slept most of the time. Once the plane landed our group got off and we went to pick up our luggage. From there we took group taxis that brought us to our separate locations. I am the only student from WKU staying with Rasma, our home stay mom. There are two other students from the U.S. staying here too named Tyler and Paige. After I got settled into my room we all sat down and talked together. Afterwards, Rasma took us around Brussels in her car. We got to visit the Atomium which was a large monument in Brussels that’s more than 300 feet tall and is an iron crystal cell that is magnified 165 billion times. (I put a link at the end of the page explaining the history of the Atomium). We also visited Grand Place and walked around the city to see what different things were available to do. I had a great time getting to see many different places in Brussels and spending time with my new home stay family. Once we got back to the house Tyler and Rasma began preparing dinner. We ate pasta with sun dried tomatoes, chicken kabobs wrapped in bacon, chickpeas with apricots and chicken with Tandoori spices. Afterwards, we all sat and talked for a few hours and also discussed possible places to visit. Tomorrow is my orientation and my first day of class.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really cool already! Say "hi" to Rasma from me.

    ReplyDelete